8.04.2009

Deerhunter/Dan Deacon/No Age tonight at Southgate House

OK, so this isn't a lineup (though it'd be pretty amazing if it was) - all three bands will be playing on stage simultaneously. They call it a "round robin" tour, but I think that's a little misleading. It seems like the bands should be competing against each other, tourney-style. Actually, they'll just be trading off and participating in each other's songs. This is a 7-date tour, and the Southgate House in Newport, KY was lucky enough to be included in the mix.

So, let's talk about Bradford Cox. He's the lead singer of Deerhunter (pictured above). Sure, he's kinda creepy, but he's also a way better blogger than I am and an amazingly prolific songwriter. Anyone who can maintain the creativity for two bands - Deerhunter (his main psychedelic rock gig) and Atlas Sound (a surprisingly decent "bedroom recordings" type project) gets a gold star in my book. I'll be interested in checking out Dan Deacon and No Age, but I'll probably be focusing on the Deerhunter songs. They've been a buzz band since I first heard about them (I was shut out of all of their performances at SXSW 2007), and now that they've followed up Cryptograms with the excellent Microcastle last year, there'll just be more to love.

If I think of it, I'll probably drop a couple of Twitter updates about the show throughout the night - just in case you can't make it. Actually, there's a good chance you won't make it if you haven't already bought tickets, because the show's sold out. Sorry. Shoulda mentioned that before.

No comments: