4.26.2008

Blog abandoned!!

OK, not really. However, it would appear that life sometimes involves several non-blog related aspects. Weird. Here are some highlights of the past 19 days:

1) Chicago.
Kari and I made the our 3rd trip to Chi-town shortly after this blog was abandoned. We checked out Second City (good stuff) and went to the Field Museum to see the ever-famous dinosaur bones of the T. Rex known as Sue (above). I didn't take this photo, but it reminded me of one I took with my camera phone...thanks to Pam and J for their hospitality while we were in town! The bagels Pam mentions on her blog are as good as she says they are...

2. Fantasy baseball.
I'm pleased to announce that I have been named GM of an imaginary baseball team. I don't think I've been into baseball since Ken Griffey Jr. (above) was a rookie (and to further hammer that point home, I'll mention Griffey just started his 20th year). He's also the only Red that ended up on my team through the draft in Paul's league. I'm hoping to keep tabs on him in a feature I like to call "Ken Griffey is on my Fantasy Baseball Team" on omgreds.com (where I admit my contributions have been mighty sad). Soon, I promise, soon - maybe when I stop obsessing over my team (anyone know of an up-and-coming 3rd baseman?).

Anyone who knows me realizes my obsession with my team so far is very against character. And really, beyond what's happening with my players, I have no idea what's going on in MLB as a whole (and yeah, I know that makes it seem more sad). But what can I say? It's like a giant video game that updates almost daily. I'm hooked...until my team ends up in the basement.


3. Music

It's an unusually slow year for music. Typically the March/April/May months are key for releases (who wouldn't want to be poised as the soundtrack for the summer), but not much to report. New releases by Tapes 'n Tapes and Gnarls Barkley have received unfairly middling reviews (both are excellent) and a quick glance at Metacritic shows the no clear standouts among critics. My one critic-based decision was Atlas Sound, the side-project (it's all about the side projects this year) of Deerhunter's Bradford Cox. I like Deerhunter, so I figured I'd like Atlas Sound (I was right!), but it probably wouldn't be very interesting for people who like things such as "rhythm" and "songs." Those people have such high standards!

Other early highlights include R.E.M. (which I've mentioned), The Raveonettes, Goldfrapp, The Raconteurs and the Flight of the Conchords (though that's basically a rundown of stuff from last year's TV show).

4. Coming soon: The Police...and Elvis Costello...live!
At the beginning of the month, Kari and I are venturing to Columbus to see the Police (Elvis Costello is opening the show). This is the first "reunion show" I've seen (though I wish I could've seen the Pixies tour). Here's hoping they live up to Stewart Copeland's standards!

No comments: