7.19.2007

Slacker humor

Sometimes I feel compelled to share something completely random that probably few (maybe even no one) will enjoy. Here's one of those times...

Stuck in an unusual interview with Deerhunter's Bradford Cox at the Pitchfork Festival this year, Stephen Malkmus made me laugh out loud after Cox kept pressing him about being the "alpha male" of indie rock...

BC: No. What it is is an alpha male thing. You serve as an alpha male for this particular culture. Is that a burden?

SM: No, it's not much of a burden, 'cause it's a pretty benign culture, 'cause nobody's gunning for me. Lou Barlow's not over there going, "Oh, man."


Gotta love the slacker generation. Pretty random, but funny to me. The Lou Barlow ref is perfect...check out the whole, weird interview here.

4 comments:

Jessica K said...

Ronson, do you have a crush on Steve Malkmus too?

those aviator sunglasses have got to go though ...

Ronson said...

Nah, I'm more of a Lou kind of guy. :)

The Deerhunter dude (who interviewed him) seems creepily obsessed with Steve.

That pic is pretty odd. Is he in early retirement? Tan, wearing a pink polo and aviators. And at this festival he basically played solo. He'd better squash the rumor I just started and put out some new music soon...

Jessica K said...

I think one would typically "quash" a rumor, actually, but your word choice does do more to create an image.

Ronson said...

D'oh. I should know better - probably one of those things that I always heard growing up but never saw in print.

I think I've always liked the idea of "squashing" a rumor though, there's something more obviously desperate about it.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have just said it was a misprint...