7.12.2006

Syd Barrett dies

Also, Syd Barrett, founding (and arguably best) member of Pink Floyd died yesterday at age 60. Syd's influence is huge and his reclusive withdrawl from popular music is one of the more unusual stories in rock history. If you haven't, you should really check out "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" as well as his solo albums ("The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett.").

I have to admit, I was late into getting into Syd and I only got his solo albums last year (I picked them up after hearing his greatest hits CD on a friend's itunes). I had this idea (for some reason) that Syd solo albums were these crazy freak-outs. Buuuut of course they weren't, and I ended up feeling like an idiot. They're a good mix of laidback stuff and a few upbeat songs too (well, depending on your definintion of "upbeat." Remember, two of my favorite bands are Joy Division and Radiohead). Anyway, highly recommended. Shine on, you crazy diamond, you.

No comments: