4.27.2006

Anti-Artist of the Week, 4/27


Daniel Powter

So you had a bad day, hm? I have too, a lot of 'em, but I never wrote a crappy pop song about it. At first I was encouraged to learn that the number one selling song on iTunes was not some shlocky, humps-related nonsense. Then, after being forced to hear this overearnest, mediocre, instant adult contemporary classic 1,100 times, I realized there was something far more sinister at play. Like "Everybody Hurts" and "Don't Worry, Be Happy" before it, the song is so annoyingly generic and universal, that it loses any personal impact it could possibly have.

Are people seriously thinking "Whoa, he's singing about bad days. I'VE had a bad day. How did he get into my head!? Time to purchase!" Please, someone explain this to me. Also, will someone else please yank that dumb hat off his head? Double thanks.

Next week, I promise to be fawning over someone I actually like again. Promise!

3 comments:

Kate said...

The song is bad, yes, but the hat somehow inspires white-hot rage in me. A rage I have never felt in a hat-related situation. Is it just me?

Ronson said...

Seriously. Go with that feeling. I think the hat is what gives him his evil powers...

Anonymous said...

my favorite song....